How much time do you think about the care of your cows? Research has found that the health and happiness of your cows are connected to the quality and quantity of milk production. The technology you use, the bedding, the grooming, the feeding, the comfort of the barn, and even the naming of your cows influences their well-being. Now, how often do you think about caring for yourself? Finding the right strategies and supports for your wellness will improve your moo-d, health, and productivity.
Looking for answers to the burning questions facing dairy? We are udderly devoted to the space and the hard working folks involved.
Cows come in many shapes and sizes, and breeds! The number of recognized cattle breeds varies, but it is estimated that there are over 250 different types of cows worldwide. There are Holsteins, Jerseys, the Brown cow who makes chocolate milk (we all wish that was true), and more.
Each breed has different benefits due to its genetic makeup, which allows them to have different purposes like dairy, work, or meat. Different species of cows are fit for certain climates, so the location of the cow and breed are just some of the things to consider when picking a herd.
Here are a few facts about different cow breeds.
If you want to know anything about dairy or cows, World Dairy Expo is the place to be. Hosted in Madison, Wisconsin from October 2 to 7, the expo was filled with show cows' along with new and emerging dairy technologies.
Dairy production has evolved over the last century, heck it’s evolved a lot over the last five years! Automatic milking systems (AMS), also called voluntary milking systems (VMS), are monitored by herd management software. This system has many parts and can measure milk quality, cow health, and much more.
We’ve heard it all. Almond milk this, soy milk that, oat, hemp, cashew, coconut… To quote the comedian Jack Whitehall, "Can we stop milking things already?!" But the big question we often get asked in the dairy industry is:
It may seem like cows are only used for food, like steak or dairy products, but that isn’t true, they are used for so much moooore. About 60% of the cow is used for food while the remaining 40% is used for products and other uses. Creating other products from the cow allows for less waste and a smaller ecological footprint.